Thursday, April 10, 2014

Baltimore here we come! AVAM - Peabody Conservatory of Music - BAM with Sculpture Garden

The first thing you notice about the American Visionary Art Museum is the astonishing art work outside the building.
Vollis Simpson whirligig! Simpson died last year at age 94 at his family farm in Wilson, NC. A machinist by trade, he somehow got into making moving objects he called 'windmills,' later referred to as 'whirligigs.'

Late in life he became a celebrated artist. People visited him on his farm while he worked and he'd chat with them. There's a whole park in Wilson dedicated to his work.

Dig this goofy looking creature. Dunno the artist.
I climbed up into a tree house and took this shot at other members of our tour, from Cheltenham Township Adult Evening School.

We got to the museum 10 minutes early so explored the grounds until we were let in.

Below is one of a series of murals in the hallway leading into the museum. We were not allowed to take photos inside, tho I did shoot a few, but not nearly enough.

Below is Prometheus, tied to a rock by orders of Zeus, king of the gods. Why? Because Prometheus did a godlike thing: he brought fire to mankind. Look at the vulture picking at his liver.
One of the first mobile phones. By Motorola.
Why NOT ride a giraffe. Only an artist would think of this.
This is either a lifesize man or a guy having a manic-psychotic episode. People lose their inhibitions and often stroll around nekkid. True.
Amish preparing for a meal.
These two sisters, from our bus, had a friend make these gowns. I told Averilla they could be costumes fit for the museum.

Kenny Irwin, Jr., a 49-yo artist who became a Muslim 10 years ago, has an amazing installation. The moment I walked inside I thought I was in The Land of Oz.

But Oz was never as strange as this.... with its Islamic motifs.... and strange alien figures. His ideas come from within. Surreal dreams he has.

I am a fan! I could like him on FB. Hmmm, maybe I will. Scuse me a sec while I check to see what my grandkids are up to.

My daughter/law sez:  Today at the playground, a boy pushed Grace (age 3.5). I asked her what she said to him.
Grace: "I don't like it when you push me. If you push me again, you will live to regret it."



The above photo cannot do justice to the installation. See Kenny's website here.

On the website is an interview with the NY Times. 




All aboard The Magic Bus.

Next stop - and I had no idea we were going here - The Peabody Institute of Music, now part of Johns Hopkins, who relieved the Conservancy from its untenable financial morass.

Every Thursday they have a free noon concert. Our concert hall, one of 3, seats 700. Here's the program. 

Every pianist was Asian. Our tour guide, Debbie, told us Peabody recruits people from Korea and Taiwan.

I particularly enjoyed the contemporary pieces.  I nodded off briefly twice during the program, having awoken at 5:15 am. Everyone on our bus loved the concert, including my seatmate Lisa.

Listen to contemporary Russian composer Nikolai Kapustin here.
 The tour of Peabody. They must remain competitive with other conservancies - New England, Curtis Institute (which is free), Oberlin, and the best-known and most highly acclaimed, Julliard.


 Monica and her daughter Lisa live in Abington in houses right next door to one another. Just like me and Scott live next door to each other.
 Kramer invited us into the Percussion Room. This beautiful wooden instrument looks like a zy, but it really a marimba. Is that correct, Kramer?
Thanks again Kramer for opening this new door. The door cost $30,000 to keep out the loud percussive noises.

 Very attractive elevator buttons. BUT the door closed on me and I lost my group. Fortunately an Asian young man - of course! - was on with me and pressed the correct button so I could reconnect with them.
 The famous Peabody Library.
 It's so beautiful people get married here.
The above was in a glass-covered case. I think those are satyrs driving the coach.

Okay, CTAS (Cheltenham Township Adult School), I'm getting pretty hungry. It's 2 pm already. Take me to the feeder.
Manhattan Clam Chowder with a bite to it. Bread tray I bypassed bc of diabetes.
Look, we're in Baltimore. Why not eat seafood? This was a delicious crab quiche.
Monica had a delicious wrap.
Sorbet for dessert.

Now we're gonna view the Baltimore Sculpture Garden, which was excellent.


I photographed this man cuz I wanted to get a good look at the logo on his cap but you can't see it. It looks like this:  

) (

Any idea what it is?
Balzac by Rodin.

Raise your hand if you know Balzac's first name.

 Probably Calder.
 This is a Horse.
 The Annunciation. Mary looks .... how would you describe it?  Contemplative? Befuddled?
 This is called The Miracle. We were circling it trying to figger out what miracle, but we don't know the full story.

 Joan Miro


Show off!

 Isamu Noguchi


The dude in green is babysitting for Moritz, whose folks are from Germany. The green dude is from Holland.
Alexander Calder, Philadelphian.





This chair is made of rock. My backpack is taking a rest. I bought it on a bus trip to the Grand Canyon of PA.
Large Boxing Hare... see below.  Lisa said her kids would enjoy her photo of the bunny. Cody is 10 and Lucas is 6.

My Sarah is 40 and Dan is 37.
Let's go home, Bill of Starr Coaches.



Nice graffiti on these freight trains.
Last nite I called my neighbor Nancy and left her a message. Please call me if you have a pair of sunglasses I can borrow for my trip.

Fortunately AVAM had sunglasses for $5 apiece, which I bought, along with earrings for $3 and $5. I thought I'd try the wooden tiger earrings.

Magnets of AVAM for Scott and two other people. Mary Ann Moylen, nutritionist, told me to eat these DELICIOUS chocolate-peanut bars which have 10 grams of protein.
Bought this wall-hanging for $25. Do I regret it?
This is a free book and DVD given out near an exhibit of Angels. See Rich Shapero's website. This book got great reviews.

Am sitting here in the living room with the screen door open, spreading cool breezes throughout the room, at 10:43 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment