Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Happy Birthday Lynn! - Ada's Pool Party - Poem: Honda Fit - and Linda Barrett's Pool Party Poem

We're glad Lynn moved back to New Hope from Bonita Springs, Florida. My beautiful black-haired sister celebrated her 61st birthday today at Mom's.

To me, 61 sounds young. That's b/c I'm 68 and a half.

Matt Piccarilli my nephew by marriage. Jade was working so she couldn't attend the party but Matt emailed her and sent photos.

They recently moved from Lynn's condo to a huge estate of a nature preserve in Bucks County, with a pond and chickens.

Matt described what the eggs taste like. Viscous and thick, unlike store-bought eggs. Delicious but different. The yolk is a deep yellow.

 Ellen made her specialty - quiche with mushrooms and eggs and no crust. You don't need a crust.
I'd bought mom and Ellen fudge in Ocean City. Maple walnut - a bit of Rocky Road - and unpopular Strawberry were left.

I had none, nor did I have the beautiful cake from Nonno's Italian Bakery in Hatboro.

Mom will be 92 on August 8. We decided to celebrate this Sunday. Basically there's nothing wrong with her.

Her childhood friend Caroline Berkman died last week in Cleveland. They met at Majestic Specialties, Inc. where my dad also worked.

Mom was Caroline's boss in the filing department.CAROLINE L. (Berenson) BERKMAN Obituary
BERKMAN CAROLINE L. BERKMAN (nee Berenson), 91, passed away on July 17. She is survived by her brother Elliott Berenson, sister-in-law Roni Berenson, son Brian, daughter-in-law Holly Dudas, grandchildren Megan and Daniel, great-grandchildren Genesis, and Micah Soto, cousin Patti Glicken, many nieces, nephew, great-nieces, great nephews, and friends.
Published in The Plain Dealer from July 20 to July 23, 2014
- See more at: http://obits.cleveland.com/obituaries/cleveland/obituary.aspx?pid=171791656#sthash.19OXntZl.dpuf

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

BERKMAN CAROLINE L. BERKMAN (nee Berenson), 91, passed away on July 17. She is survived by her brother Elliott Berenson, sister-in-law Roni Berenson, son Brian, daughter-in-law Holly Dudas, grandchildren Megan and Daniel, great-grandchildren Genesis, and Micah Soto, cousin Patti Glicken, many nieces, nephew, great-nieces, great nephews, and friends.

I still remember Caroline's voice over the phone. Certainly the midwestern twang and a cheerful alto voice. Caroline's widowed mother worked in the coat department at one of the Cleveland department stores - perhaps Halle's or Higbee's - and died with a good mind at 105.

Mom has a very young voice.


Cake from Nonno's.  I wanna keep all of my toes. Diabetics often face amputation and then rapidly proceed to hell. Am cleansing myself today by eating lots of salad.


*

Okay, time to travel across The Pike to Ada's Annual Pool Party.

As I drove up, I saw cars lining the street. I always park at the end of the circular drive, ready to make my getaeway.

I think I stayed - along with Helen Kirschner - for five hours! We were the last to leave.

 Was so happy to see Marion Mulhearne. She took a cab there - $52 - and Rich drove her home. She is talking very well after having a stroke.
I really enjoyed meeting a few new people, including Kimberly who teaches at a charter school.

Last nite I saw Eli Broad (pronounced Brode) on Tavis Smiley. He's the only man to own two Fortune 500 companies.

Image result for eli broad
My next husband

Kaufman and Broad

In 1957, Broad started a homebuilding company with Donald Kaufman in Detroit. Kaufman and Broad Home Corporation (now KB Home) recognized the type of housing that would appeal to a new generation of Detroit home buyers flocking to the suburbs. By streamlining the construction process, they could price the houses so the monthly mortgage would be less than the rent for a two-bedroom apartment. The Kaufman and Broad model featured an attached carport and omitted the basement. They christened this model the "Award Winner" and priced it at $13,700.

SunAmerica

In 1971, Broad acquired Sun Life Insurance Company of America, a family-owned insurance company founded in Baltimore in 1890. Broad transformed Sun Life into the retirement savings powerhouse SunAmerica. In 1999, he sold SunAmerica to the American International Group for $18 billion.[7] Broad continued as CEO of SunAmerica until 2000, when he left to focus on philanthropy full-time.



At 81, Broad and wife Edythe are fulltime philanthropists. See their website here.

From Detroit, they've residing in the LA area since 1963.

He's pumped billions of dollars into education. He thinks Obama is doing a great job with education. He doesn't like unions for teachers as they protect the older incompetent teachers.

Broad was a major funder of the Walt Disney Concert Hall, Frank Gehry architect



And now he's creating a new art museum which charges no money to patrons. That way, he said to Tavis, people and especially children will come to the museum and learn about art.

Ada's scrumptious
brownies
poppy seed cake
chocolate chip cookies
almond cookies
fruits of every kind
 Here's Gregory in his spiffy straw hat. His wife Carole also wore a straw hat. I told them I bought one in Ocean City and love it! The top provides ventilation and the brim shades your eyes from the sun.

Steve and Harriet Rellis sit by the pool.

Hello Bill Quigley, nurse at Brooke Glen Hospital.

His stepdaughter Brandy was drinking a

I asked if I could have a sip of Brandy's Diet Coke.

I stood on the grass, took a sip - knew I wouldn't swallow it - swished it around my mouth and spit it out on the grass.

What's a synonym for Gross?

Ed is a talented musician. Are you playing the piccolo, I asked him.

It wasn't a piccolo, but was a tin whistle. His youngest daughter is taking voice lessons, as is Larry Kirschner, who left early for his lesson at Chestnut Hill College. His 23-yo female teacher is very good and tried out for some Disney roles.

I'd say about 25 people came to the party. Many of us swam.

But I was the only one who slipped on the linoleum when going into the house. Really banged myself up good. Won't tell you much about it cuz you might get weak in the knees.

Fell on my right arm which is bruised. Rich and Ada both use Arnica - ooh! it sounds like arsenic - as an anti-inflammatory.

Called my pharmacist Erich at the Giant


He ordered me Arnica from McKesson Labs which will arrive tomro. Then I called him when I got home and asked if there was an anti-inflamm I can take, knowing about my kidney transplant.

No, he said. There's nothing you can take. But I'm glad you asked and are aware of this.

*

Really enjoyed talking to Helen Kirschner, who loves to read. She and husband Larry go camping once a year. My ex and I camped in Montreal on our honeymoon. 

Linda Barrett wrote a poem right there, poolside. It's mighty good!

White hot sun ignites
                 July's last day
                 I travel the Huntingdon Valley roads
                 like the back of my hand
                 still getting lost three times
                 Rich stands outside
                 on the corner of CornCrib and Milkweed
                 too good-natured to be exasperated
                 by my constant phone calls
                 to bring me here
                 I finally arrive at the place
                 enter the gates
                 into a floral haven
                 found in the middle of former farmland
                 the swimming pool's tranquil blueness
                 Resembles a many faceted
                 aquamarine gemstone glittering
                 within a tiled settling

                 We all go through the rituals:
                 sunscreen and hats
                 warding off the oppressive sun
                 Ed at his guitar and harmonica
                 Shelly sings in accompaniment
                 resembles a 1920's beachgoer
                 in her dusty pink colored hat
                play placid swimming music

                Ada darts and bobs around us
                asks us if we need any drinks
                serves her desserts
                In the pool,
                I float on my back,
                as a church chime wafts
                through the surrounding trees
                reminds me
                of He who created this day
                for my enjoyment

*
I wrote my poem this morning as I wanted to mail  it to my friend Helene, who's locked up in a nursing home. Was hurrying b/c the mailman was a-coming. I missed him but drove up the street where I found him.

Mailman Ken said he liked the poem I wrote for him yesterday.

I choose my postage stamps very carefully. 





HONDA FIT

 

White as Wonder Bread
Scott and I drive his
new Honda Fit,
called Jazz in
other countries,
to our seashore
restorative hotel.

A star at the Tokyo
Motor Show, our
little white beauty
smooth and unmarred
as coconut cream pudding
was built in a factory
outside Toyko.

Can you see the workers
in their steel-tipped boots
yellow helmets
and masks over
mouth to prevent them
from inhaling deadly
poisons?

Yukio has finally stopped
remembering the death
of his grandparents at
Nagasaki. While sleeping
Michiko puts a hand on
his arm as his legs
shake like an earthquake
and eyes closed, he cries
“I’ll put you back together!
“I’ll put you back together!”

Like the cars he works on
at the plant outside Tokyo.
CAROLINE L. (Berenson) BERKMAN Obituary
BERKMAN CAROLINE L. BERKMAN (nee Berenson), 91, passed away on July 17. She is survived by her brother Elliott Berenson, sister-in-law Roni Berenson, son Brian, daughter-in-law Holly Dudas, grandchildren Megan and Daniel, great-grandchildren Genesis, and Micah Soto, cousin Patti Glicken, many nieces, nephew, great-nieces, great nephews, and friends.
Published in The Plain Dealer from July 20 to July 23, 2014
- See more at: http://obits.cleveland.com/obituaries/cleveland/obituary.aspx?pid=171791656#sthash.19OXntZl.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment