Friday, January 30, 2015

Letter to the Editor published in The Inquirer - Good experience with Netflix

Read in online here.  Jan 30, 2015

Care in community

Joseph Rogers of the Mental Health Association of Southeastern Pennsylvania decries the return of mental asylums, but I vociferously disagree ("Peace of mind with community-based care," Jan. 25). I, too, was locked up as someone with bipolar disorder.

When people were let out of facilities such as Byberry and Norristown State, they were left to fend for themselves. Many of them are now in prison, homeless, or living in horrible rooming houses where they are not cared for. If indeed asylums can be made to be safe places - and Gov. Wolf may help with this - let's bring these folks back for the good care and compassion they and their families so richly deserve.

Ruth Z. Deming, New Directions Support Group, Abington

*

Every Friday the Huntingdon Valley Library has a free movie. I was going to attend "Bethlehem," an Israeli film about spies and counterspies.

Then I checked Netflix, which I subscribe to, and saw it was listed.

Began watching the movie. It was excellent.

One shot in particular, showed the city as it's named in Palestine - Bet lehem. I love seeing other places in the world, esp. the Jewish homeland and also what it looks like in Palestine. (Two states please when you get around to it, like, in 50 years.)

Meantime, I'm waiting for the subtitles to come on.

When they don't, I goggle the phone no, and enter a 6-digit code.

Wow! Just like a spy.

So, Brent from Colorado, walks me through - or should I say Waltzes me through or Lindyhops me through the process of turning on the subtitles.

I shall continue watching the film.

*

I needed to take a break from my writing.

Worked on a true story called Codebreaker, which I wanna submit into a contest. Deadline is Feb 9, I believe. It costs $3 to enter. They call it a 'courtesy fee.'

Carly from my Writer's Group liked the story and gave some good suggestions.

Here's Carly.

My friend Freda called me and gave me the imprimatur I needed.

 Where did I learn that word?

Charlie Rose's guest last nite was the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright -  Ayad Akhtar - who discussed his play Disgrace. Read Times Review here.

I was riding my bike while watching it.

I'll go over Codebreaker later tonite and then submit it.

Freda said, She felt like she was 'going crazy' as she read it.

Good!

That's what the story is about: my first manic-psychotic episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment