Sunday, May 10, 2015

Coffeeshop Writer's Group - Gardening - New poems: Quickly Spring Cometh - Signals

The night before, I was up until 4 am submitting my work to various lit mags. Next morning I learned that "A Creature of Habit," rejected by 5 or 6 lit mags was happily taken by Ray's Road Review.

Chris Duncan wrote me a personal note

Also worked on a new short story Uncle Ken, which I presented at the Writer's Group. I think it's a great concept but I've gotta execute it better.

I'm combining (1) ECT treatments from a friend of mine and (2) A neighbor's missionary work in Uganda.

Martha wrote a beautiful piece called The Tea Set. She carries out the tradition of serving tea from a beautiful tea pot to family and friends.

On FB, Marf had posted a particularly lovely tea pot, saying she needed to get rid of it, as she had bought another one.

I commented on how b'ful it was but that I didn't want it.

Martha thought otherwise and here it is residing on my window sill. See my brother David's ceramic bird house?

Marf signed her piece Martha MacDonald Hunter. Her grandmother hailed from Glasgow, where they sipped tea under a portrait of the young queen, Elizabeth Windsor.

Image result for young elizabeth windsor queen

Carly Brown and husband Charlie finished moving into Gloria Dei where they are night managers, two weeks on, and two weeks off, as they trade with a previous couple who live there.

She couldn't be happier! Isn't it great to work for good people?

Her nonfiction piece was in the back of her mind for several weeks and she finally had time to put it on paper.

Reflections on Love was written mostly in dialogue and concerned a woman arguing with her husband - they cursed unmercifully at each other - Carly herself never curses - and the main character finally up and leaves.

Carly has no idea how the story will end. We find the main character at the lush Manhattan home of her best friend. Allan and I particularly liked her description of a large hallway.

ALLAN read a new piece of flash fiction "The Mortician's Assistant" which featured his usual use of great words and names. There's always an O. Henry twist at the end. Last two lines

Morris was aghast.
Saunders was a ghoul.

I mentioned that when I grew up in Cleveland, we had GHOULARDI




DONNA wrote a lovely poem about her new home. She and Denny now live in the same apartment complex, across from Sam's Italian Deli, where Carly use to live.

Sounds like a lovely new home, with a bubbling creek in the back yard.

You can't really see Donna's gunmetal gray nails, which glow in the dark.

"You'll save on electricity," I said.

I mentioned a new article in the Times about the hazards of nail polish, not to mention the way manicurists in Manhattan are taken advantage of by the salon owners. Many of them suffer irreversible health damages from inhaling the fumes.

Read story here. 

After I read the story, I removed my very chipped pink polish.

Maybe I'll just use

Image result for red crayon


LINDA BARRETT brought in The First Woman on Mars. She's having a heck of a time with it. I know what it's like to abandon something. She shouldn't abandon it, but rethink it. I suggested she write it in the third person instead of first.

*

After the Writers' Group, went over to Mom's. We sat down at the kitchen table and had a very nice conversation. I'd brought her some type of pretzel chocolate candy and Ellen a vanilla sugar-filled latte.

Mom had gotten her hair cut at the Cuttery. It looked great. Of course she didn't like it.

*

I spent about 12 hours gardening.  When I came home from Mom's, I saw that little Patrick and little Tucker had mowed the lawn. They did a great job for $30, plus $5 tip.


 Orange poppy, behind which I planted Red Poppy Seeds, yellow and pink Snapdragons, Italian Heather found at the Giant, as well as all the seeds.

Plants are from Meadowbrook Farm. Also planted two Dahlia bulbs.

Dwarf Fig should produce figs this year.



QUICKLY SPRING COMETH

Quickly spring cometh
my hands deep in the
planting soil, I greet
Master Worm, whose
moist confident body
slithers through his
dark realm

Caw! cries the bluejay
feathers a blur
as he sips the
sunlit water of
his bird bath
in my front yard 

Doctors' orders 
leave my hands
ensconced in 
blue Nitrile gloves
the thin membrane
barely protecting
me from toxins in
the soil that might
kill my new kidney

This quick quiet
spring has me
walking bewildered
down my street

Recalling winter’s
despair, the high
mounds of snow
that buried alive the
greens, now resurrected
Lazarus arise!
 
I am here,
I am alive, as I bounce
down the street
and sing with spring. 

*
 SIGNALS


She’s closing up for
the night
pours me
a tall paper cup
of coffee
tells me
Hot! Don't burn
yourself. 

The coffee smell
infuses the car
as I travel
down easy streets
to make it home
and there to write.

Suddenly flashes
of light take me
by surprise
Red brake lights
in front of me
flash like a
ruby
she warns me of
her stop.

Blink! Blink! Blink!
a high off the ground
car like a tall
toddler tells me
she’s about to turn.

Communication!
All done by lights
Red and yellow
Crayolas
for grown-ups

As I dismount from
my car at home
I watch
more ancient
signals high up
in the heavens.

The barefoot moon
is rising behind
Charlie's dogwood
and I, in my
sandals, pause to
contemplate
this wonderful world
this beautiful
bird-filled lush 
and river-run world
created throughout the
eons without the
beneficence and
malevolence of
that world-famous God.

2 comments:

  1. Great job with the blog, Ruth, as usual! Happy Mothers Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allan, have a good time at your mom's after your bro picks u up. Also, you forgot to tell us YOUR surprise... mine was getting Creatures published in June.

      Delete