Saturday, July 18, 2015

My Burgeoning Garden - New poem: The Pope Comes to Visit

So, my laptop is fixed BUT my upstairs computer, where I do my writing, is messed up. Probably the same virus that harmed my laptop.

We have our writing group in 45 minutes at the Giant. I have drunk enough coffee this morning - and delicious it is - to fill up a baby pool.

Image result for chemex  Scott ground up the beans for me in his coffee grinder he uses for one thing: to crush up eggshells.

He makes a drink out of them for the calcium.

While I was waiting for Joseph to fix my laptop I went for a walk. Right next door was a bldg that used to be a bank. Now it's one of those Vapor places.

I helped myself to some sweet-smelling honeysuckle, which, years ago, strangled all my shrubs. I suffered from painful sciatica and couldn't garden.

There was also a pink hydrangea in full bloom. I plucked off a bloom on the bottom, leaving, of course, many other ripe blooms.

Dangling on the bottom are some willow tree leaves. So you see! There are indeed willow trees in Willow Grove. This tree was huge! No one knows it's there. So I paid it obeisance and told it "I care!"

Below, hard to see, but the pink Mandeville, a tropical plant, is doing very well. If you listen carefully, you can hear the Buddha chanting for its fecundity every single day!

 Crepe myrtle is doing quite well. I brought in a few flowers and put them by my kitchen window sill. They looked beautiful for one day, but now appear to have closed themselves up. If so, I will return them to nature.

 Imagine my surprise when I saw this last lilac on my front yard dwarf lilac plant.



THE POPE COMES TO VISIT

I have the honor of hosting the Pope from the
Argentine in the spare bedroom of my house
He is testing the waters before his official visit
come September. 

His white helicopter landed in the 
back yard, its frightful noise scaring the cardinals and even the
bluejays, as it swept up dry leaves from the grass, blowing
them everywhere. They stick to the screen of my back porch
art studio.

The Pope dresses in street clothes so he won’t be recognized
by curious neighbors. I lent him the suit worn by my ex-
husband when he visited, and told him the reason why I
left him. The Pope sighed and nodded his head.

We took our coffees out in the front yard and sat on
lawn chairs. We kept the conversation light, no talk
about gays and lesbians or the importance of abortion.

“You haff such a variety of flowers and birds and keep
your bird bath filled for them.”
I stood up and twirled around in my blue-sequined
dress. Luckily I remembered to wear panties.
“I so love them,” I said, as a long-beaked chickadee
flew into his painted bird house.

“After I retire,” said the Pope, “if I do, no vun can predict
the future,” he took a sip of his coffee, “I will spend
quiet mornings quite like this.”

I wondered where that would be, but he answered my
question.
“The Lord God above will show me the way, as He always
has.”

I looked at this man seated in the green lawn chair
with his thin white hair and merry brown eyes
and asked if we could pray together.

He took my hand in his and began to sing softly
“Rejoice in the Lord alway and again I say rejoice.”
The red-tailed hummingbird alighted on his shoulder
small, pulsing, long beak pecking at his cheek

All I could do was stare. 


 Click to enlarge and you'll see Ms Chickadee perching on the shepherd's crook.


No comments:

Post a Comment